Many of you may know that I’m in my second year as a member of the Junior League of Hartford. I find that people have a pretty outdated perception of what the Junior League is and the purpose it serves, which is too bad. My experience has been extremely positive – I’ve been able to get really involved with community service in the Greater Hartford area while also getting to know wonderful women who share common interests.
The Junior League’s current focus is helping to alleviate hunger in Hartford.
A few facts:
– Foodshare estimates that currently there are 100,000 people living with hunger in the greater Hartford area…..40,000 are children.
– Currently 40% of children under the age of 18 in the Upper Albany neighborhood of Hartford are living at or below the poverty level.
– Many of these children rely on school and after-school provided meals for their nourishment – 69% of students at the MLK school qualify for the free or reduced lunch program.
One of the main programs that furthers this goal is the Backpack Program
, which provides nondescript backpacks filled with child-friendly, nonperishable and vitamin-fortified meals and snacks to students of the MLK Elementary School and their families at times when the school-provided meals are not available. THe program provides enough food each weekend to feed each enrolled child six full meals plus snacks. Also included is at least one full meal for the child’s family.
The program is funded entirely from community donations and support and is operated exclusively by volunteers.
This year we are selling gift certificates that are a great present for friends, family members, teachers, or hostesses. At this point in the year, we are really looking at fundraising to help us expand the program beyond the 25 packs per week we currently fund (last year we got up to 35!).
A few popular amounts:
– $14 – A Backpack for 1 week
– $60 – A backpack for 1 month
– $200 – A backpack for 6 months
– $400 – A backpack for 1 year
You can donate online or downloading the PDF from the website and sending in a check.
I really encourage you to think about giving this meaningful and important gift to someone special in your life.
Last winter I photographed a delivery shift (they take place every Friday morning when school is in session)
Shelf stable Parmalat milk is included every week.
The filled backpacks wait to be picked up!